The Other Organics
I’m sure you’ve heard of the Dirty Dozen guide for buying organic foods. I buy organic or from local farmers I know where budget permits. My stomach appreciates pesticide-free food because pesticides are a big pest.
Then there are all the other things labeled organic. Everything from soaps and shampoo to baby diapers. I’ve purchased a few hits and misses. For me organic does not always equal quality.
- My favorite dress. With a description like that, it’s pretty obvious I love my dress by Global Girlfriend. The perfect mix of comfort and versatility with a great message. Global Girlfriend provides micro grants or micro credit to women in struggling countries to build their own eco-friendly and fair trade craft businesses. The dress looks as good today as it did the day I bought it. I’m excited to buy it in another color and a few other things to help these women gain economic security.
- Recycled Cutting Board. I tend to wander the aisles of Target for no reason. Okay I have a reason…I’m looking for fun stuff to buy. Sometime last year I came across a green cutting board that is actually red. Actually the eco-smart cutting board comes in multiple colors. I chose red to mark it as my cutting board to avoid cross contamination. Best of all I can send it to be recycled again when it begins to show the wear and tear.
- Cleaning Products. I’ve always wanted to buy green cleaning products but didn’t want to waste all the products I already had. When my allergies hit full force I was, well forced to go green. (pun intended!) Chelle has been my guide along the way. It’s amazing what baking soda, vinegar, castile soap, borax and a little elbow grease can do. (source)
- Burt’s Bees. Hello, my name is Cynthia, and I’m a chap stick addict. I’ve tried them all but Burt’s Bees is the only lip balm that stops the chapping for me and doesn’t feel like a layer of icing on my lips. (source) Real icing might be fun to lick off but wouldn’t help the chapping.
- Shave Bar. Hunni has a baby face. While at the Troy Farmers’ Market last year I stumbled upon Rad Soap Company. No big name brand soap or suds saved his baby face from the evil razor but I don’t want to live with a mountain man. This shave bar is made locally with many scents so he tastes good enough to eat…if it weren’t for the lye.
- Deodorant. Maybe I am super stinky but organic deodorant does not work for me. I’ve tried several types but I always end up with pit stains and still a bit smelly. I’ll stick with my Secret for now.
- Toothpaste. I understand the concept behind basic toothpaste. But if I wanted to brush my teeth with baking soda and peroxide I wouldn’t buy a fancy tube of toothpaste. In fact the taste is so rechid – yes even the mint – I don’t want to brush my teeth. Let’s face it…that’s bad for everyone.
Tell me some of your non-food organics I should try.
*Note: I was not paid to blog about any of these items. All opinions are my own and I purchased them all with my good looks…I mean debit card.*