Cleaning Up a Sweat
I’m a weirdo who loves working out…at least that’s what some of my friends tell me. Weird or not I love working up a sweat. Some people don’t and I understand…I used to be you. However there are other things that can work up a sweat and don’t require a gym membership, a trainer or even sneakers.
Take this past weekend for example. Momma and my cousins – whom we affectionately call “the girls” – were coming to visit for a few days post-Christmas.
However my house looked like a bomb kettles went off in it.
This needed to be remedied…FAST!!!
Perfect time to get sweaty and dirty while the house got cleaned. I had a systematic plan.
- Make a list of all the things that had to be done. Like any good child I can hide some things in the closets.
- Load up iTunes or turn on MusicTV to some fist pumping music. Yes I consider Show Tunes and Glee fist pumping…I’d never make it on Jersey Shore.
- Don your sports bra, Heart Rate Monitor and comfy pants. You are going to be moving…you want to be ready. HRM isn’t necessary but is fun if you are a numbers nerd like me and want to see your total calorie burn.
- Set Online-Stopwatch for 30 minutes…and GO!
The 30 minute time limit pushes me to move fast and get things done instead of dilly dallying and possibly curling up on the bed to take a nap. I had to reset the stopwatch once but after an hour the apartment was set for guests.
I wasn’t ready for a white glove inspection but luckily they’re family so they forgave a bit of dust. Peanut and Leo might not forgive me for the vacuum cleaner though.
Tips to make cleaning more of a workout.
- Challenge a family member. Hunni and I each took separate but similar tasks. The person who finished first won a fun little prize (movie choice at the theatre, dessert of choice, foot rub, etc.). I won of course.
- Dance to the music. Take 30 second to 1 minute dance breaks…you already have the music playing. Random dancing gets you moving quickly and is a total blast. Just ask my cousins.
- Up and down. Take things up or down the stairs immediately instead of waiting. Sure this may require more time but the stairs are a great workout for your legs. The more trips, the more of a workout. Think of it as a stair master in your home.
- Jumping jacks, burpees, push ups between tasks. Okay so maybe dusting and changing the sheets isn’t a huge workout. Adding a few high intensity moves in between cleaning tasks will surely get your heart going. You didn’t put a sports bra on for nothing…unless you are a guy and then it is just weird.
What is your least favorite chore?
If you haven’t yet, head on over to Facebook and LIKE It All Changes. Consider it a workout 😀