My Multitasking Master Plan
We live in a go, go, go world. The only time I really have to rest is the second my eyes close before I go to sleep. Even after seven hours of sleep, I wake up ready to go, go, go again. Have you seen my schedule? It’s ridiculous. Here’s just a snippet of the insanity.
Google Calendar saves my life, every…single…day. To answer your question, yes that Red Sox game on Sunday was extremely important. Got to support my boys in Red 🙂 This isn’t even the half of it. For each task you see there are 10 things going on at once. I need to grow some octopus arms to juggle the phone, sign checks, tweet, and change the Pandora station all at once. There isn’t a second to spare, so I’ve become the multitasking queen.
For my fellow octopi, here are some fun tips for trying to get it all done and somehow stay healthy in the process.
- Circuit train to cut some time off your workouts. There are days that every second is precious and you can barely squeeze in a workout. Circuit training will save your sanity. It’s a mix of cardio and strength training. You can find tons of routines on blogs and the internet. My EA Sports Wii Interactive brings the circuits home. I’m also known to take some weights at the gym and put them behind my treadmill for circuit training intervals. Twice the workout in half the time.
- Don’t just cook. I slave away in the kitchen make dinner at home most nights (just don’t look at what I ate this week :-D). I also want to kick back and relax after work. To kill two birds with one stone I either set my computer on the kitchen counter and catch up with blogs and twitter while the onions are sautéing, or listen to music and have a dance party in the kitchen.(Bonus for a bit of extra cardio)
- All Over Yoga. I love the stretchy-bendy feeling of yoga but can’t afford to go to a studio, and don’t have patience to watch a DVD (or any workout DVD for that matter). Instead I download the flow series from yogadownloads.com and do them during my favorite TV shows. ::cough:: Real Housewives of New Jersey & Big Brother ::cough:: Planks and PT exercises during commercials are a favorite of mine as well. I feel strong and powerful after 60 seconds in the plank pose while watching Billy Mays (RIP) and then collapse on the floor to relax for the net 15 minutes of the show.
- Menu planning while blog reading. You know you are drooling over that veggie wrap or home-made pizza on your favorite blog. That’s why we read them right…to salivate? I sit with a pad and paper while reading my favorite food blogs and think of similar recipes I can make with the stuff I have on hand. I keep my pantry list handy to check what I do have and mark on my grocery list all at the same time. That way, I only buy what I need at the store, instead of all of aisle 7 because I’m hungry.
- Don’t go out for just one thing. Sure it is great to get out of the office for a breath of fresh air but if you do it 10 times a day you lose valuable time, and for me patience. Make a list of all the errands you need to do in a day and orchestrate them in one great trip. Heck even lunch at a great coffee shop can be involved. Going downtown for the bank? Why not hit up the post office, pick up the pens you need from Staples, and maybe your prescription all in the same trip.
No matter how much I pray I still wake up with only 24 hours each day. Or for the science geeks (hello that’s me!) 23 hours and 56 minutes. I’m losing an entire 4 minutes every day…where the heck are they going? I think Peanut steals them while I sleep. Using these simple multi-tasking tricks allows me some semblance of sanity. Unless you’ve met me of course, and you know I lost my mind a while ago.
What is your favorite multi-tasking tip?