My boring grain life of brown rice, couscous and barley became a whole new world when I discovered polenta. Fun new food and combinations to explore. Great upper arm workout while stirring and for rest days I buy the tube. Can anything be more perfect?
Polenta with Fire Roasted Tomatoes & “Cheese“
- 1 Tube Olive Oil & Basil
- Olive oil spray
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 cup Daiya “cheese
1. Heat pan on medium-high heat and add olive oil spray.
2. Slice tube polenta in 10 – 1/2 slices. Add to pan and brown for 8 minutes each side.
3. Add canned fire roasted tomatoes slightly drained. Heat for 2 minutes.
3.5 Pre-heat broiler on low. I love the blue flame…hot!
4. Top with cheese and place under broiler until crispy. You’ll know its done when the “cheese” feels crispy. Daiya doesn’t completely brown.
5. Slice and serve. Feeds 4…or one for me and the rest for Hunni 🙂
Up next is polenta remake. Living in Whole Foods for a week (love free wi-fi) I made my own Roni challenge with new ingredients…to me. Meet the grown up-local version.
Polenta with Heirloom Tomatoes & Aged Goat Cheese
- 1 tube olive oil spiced polenta
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1/4 pound Aged Goat Cheese
Repeat steps 1 and 2.
3. Slice heirloom tomatoes and admire the colors. Add to top of browned polenta.
4. Slice carefully chosen local cheese into wedges and arrange on top.
4.5 Taste the moon and gasp at the deliciousness…then add more to top of polenta!
5. Brown and resist the urge to eat from pan before serving to guests. Serves 4.
Polenta two ways was just perfect! Who cares if I ate the same meal twice in one week…who’s going to stop me 🙂
What is the best new food you’ve found?