Kale Chip Fun + Goals
Blogs opened my mind to foods I never knew existed. Almond butter, greek yogurt, and chia seeds…oh my. What better than to share them with others. I mentioned kale chips at Weight Watchers on Saturday to a chorus of oooooo, ahhhhh. I promised to make some this weekend to share with the blog and Hunni, of course.
I first saw them on Kath’s blog but several variations are floating through the blogosphere. This is my version.
Important note: Do not send Hunni to the grocery store for Kale or he’ll come back with this…
Yep that’s dill! He blames the co-op for mislabeling. I investigated…
Hmmmm…I should have shown him a picture or described it like I did when I sent him for cilantro to make black bean soup.
- A ton of kale – Make as much or as little as you want. I usually make enough to fill a salad spinner.
- Olive oil – I used my sprayer so I don’t know measurements…no more than 2 tsp.
- Seasonings of choice – Garlic, cayenne, Parmesan, Old Bay…the list is endless.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove ribs from kale and tear into chip sized pieces.
- Wash in salad spinner. You can wash and dry with a strainer and paper towels if you don’t have a salad spinner. *Note: A salad spinner is a good investment…especially if you love these as I do.*
- Lay out on cookie sheets and spray/drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with your seasoning and a pinch of salt. Yes that is a technical measurement.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until the edges are brown and crispy when touched. Keep an eye on them because every batch is different…unless you like to eat charcoal.
- Enjoy. They are perfect with ketchup.
One bunch made enough for two with leftovers.
Healthy snack food and blogging go hand-in-hand. So do co-op ginger cookies while buying actual kale. They make them with agave. 😀
Last Week’s Goals:
- Work on my blog to-do list. My 10 foot long list hasn’t shrunk. As soon as I cross something off, I add another. Just like my work to-do list. Things are moving along. Domain name bought, About post written, My Journey and Before & After Photos updated and so much more. Even new followers. Thanks everyone!
- Baby! Beth and Dan’s little one is so cute that I was late to my second CDNY Blend Meet-up. He was worth it. Adorable, happy spaghetti baby. He’s built just like his dad…tall and thin. I can’t believe I’m old enough that my college friends have babies (and some of them have toddlers). Ack!
- Finish my book. Late taxi and waiting for the mechanic = finished book. Anthony Bourdain was nothing less than I expected. I love the guy even if he would charge me $35 for a plate of grilled veggies to spite my vegetarian ways. However another book I reserved came in. Oops.
- Take one picture a day. Admittedly most are of Leo and Peanut looking goofy…but I did it. I took a million pictures when I picked up my Operation Beautiful book for my Change the Way You See, Not the Way You Look post later this week. Check it out on Thursday!
- Get back to the gym. The check engine light meant no pool on Monday. It was downhill from there. PT is going much better thanks to cortisone to kill the inflammation. Something is better than nothing I guess.
- Call my cousin on her birthday. Oops! Bad Cousin Cyndi (that’s what she calls me). 11PM Tuesday I remembered but 11 year-olds are in bed at 10. I called Wednesday for a chat about cake, swimming and cute boys. Oh to be 11 again 😀
This Week’s Goals:
- Finish Guest Posts. I’m writing posts for a few of my favorite bloggers. Drafts need finished and then Edit, Edit, Edit. Thanks to Becca and Heather for being my hard-core editing team and teachers.
- Operation Beautiful Cheerleaders. NYC or Bust! Caitlin will be on TODAY Thursday promoting the Operation Beautiful book. If you can’t be there, watch it, DVR it, find it on the internet…because this is in the words of Caitlin…EPIC! I’ll be live holding a big Operation Beautiful Note 😀
- Bust out the big report. It is a horrible mean trick. I completed all the reports for a grant at work and they created a “final-final” report after the fact. Grrr! It needs to be done ASAP. I won’t be on Twitter on Monday 😦 Maybe just to vent 😀
- Be Jane Fonda and Dara Torres. In other words get my butt to the gym and pool. My schedule is tricky but it WILL happen. If I repeat it 3 times and click my heels I’m magically transported to the gym, right?
- Grocery Shop! Freezer is empty, pantry shelves are bare. I’m Old Mother Hubbard. Time to stock up so I’m not scrambling for meals. Until then its scrambles…egg and tofu scrambles.