Sweet, Tea + Goals
There are coffee people and tea people. My family is definitely tea people. Every big family dinner involved a huge percolator full of fresh brewed loose tea. And for random days at home Momma loved sun tea. She would make regular Lipton some times and funky flavors other times. It was great in the summer and so much better than the powdered stuff she’d make in the frozen tundra that is winter.
However I’ve never been one to make my own sun tea. Sure I have an entire shelf of tea bags to feed my hot tea needs…
It is just so soothing in the long winters and heck sometimes even in the summer. But I tend to buy cold tea because I’m uh…busy and don’t have time. Okay that’s a total lie. I love the taste of Honest Tea and buy it as a treat instead of cookies or a chocolate bar.
But this week I challenged myself to purchase less tea to save a few pennies and well challenge myself. So I rummaged through my tea shelf and decided to make some Mandarin Spice sun tea. Unfortunately I didn’t recollect how many tea bags Momma would use so I grabbed a handful and tossed them in some cold water.
My porch is nice and sunny so I set my pitcher out there and ran to the gym. Well I didn’t run as much as I wanted to do so but I did head out to the pool for some laps. I loved my time in the water and apparently so did my tea bags. Because when I returned I had this waiting for me on the porch…
Just like I remember. So perfect that it didn’t even need any sweetener. I’ve been drinking this all week and contemplating my next flavor to try.
I also decided to make my own iced coffee this week. Tina always has her own iced coffee each morning and it makes me smile with all her flavors. When my doctor prescribed me a cup of coffee a day for my IBS I went out and purchased a ton of coffee to try at home.
The only problem is that I really have never made coffee before since I was a tea family. So I’ve been winging it. But I often forget to make it. Ooops. My local coffee shoppe knows who I am because I end up there most days. Not this week. Sorry Brewhaha I didn’t open your door all week. I’ll be back for a lunch meeting later this week I promise. Instead I brewed my own.
I have no idea what flavor it was. I tend to forget to label the bags when I pick fun flavors. But I brewed up a full pot and then set it in the fridge overnight to chill.
This random pitcher I bought came in real handy. And so did the lovely ingredients I bought to make my own iced coffee.
Mix it all together and I had a perfect cup of coffee every morning. It tasted amazing and didn’t cost me $4 like I’m used to. I’m rich I’m independently wealthy! 🙂
And the thing I loved was that it was so easy to prepare both of them that I didn’t bemoan the fact that I had challenged myself to do so. We’ll have to see what happens when the cold wind hits and the sun starts to hide but for now I’m going to enjoy my home-made goodness 🙂
Last Week’s Goals:
- Limit my purchased tea/coffee habit. As you can tell above I’ve worked to severely limit my tea and coffee purchase. I’m not saying that I’m not going to purchase a coffee or tea here or there but for now I’m happy that it’s hot outside and I can enjoy the cold tea and coffee. But I still love my coffee shoppe…I’ll just use it as a treat or for a work lunch 🙂
- Take a dip. I got to the pool several times this week. I didn’t count on how busy my schedule was with work so I didn’t get in as often as I wanted but I loved every second of it. That is until I walked back out of the Y and it felt like I was being roasted. Think they would mind if I lived in the pool this week?
- Pull off a covert mission. 😦 No go. Saturday ended up being work, work, work! So I missed the first Capital District Eat, Drink, Blog. But I’m happy that they want to make it a monthly thing. I will try to make sure I can get to the second and third and 10th 🙂
- Start lifting again. I’m not lifting as much as I have in the past yet but I’m happy to be back at it even if it is slowly. I enjoy the Jello feeling in my muscles and the strength that returns later. Excited for how this is going.
- Enjoy some outdoor fitness. Did you see my mention that this week was way busier than I thought? Oh yeah and it was hot as blue-blazes this week. But I did try to get out and took a walk with Hunni and the puppers. It was short because Peanut and Leo just wanted to sit in the shade and my calf was sore from the PT I did earlier in the day. But I tried right?
Do you make your own coffee and tea?
This Week’s Goals:
- Eat on menu. I made a menu for this week that includes easy stuff that doesn’t turn out apartment into an oven. Eating meals have been all over the place these last few weeks although we have eaten out less. But I miss my creative mojo. So recipes are selected and I’m ready to chow down. Here goes nothing.
- Vegan Friend Fun. Okay this may sound deceiving. I’m going to visit a friend (and her adorable little girl) on Wednesday and we are going to a Vegan restaurant. Neither of us are vegan but we are both adventurous. Besides neither of our spouses will go with us. So we’re going together. And I really need a day off so Hunni said Go! And I’m going 🙂
- Finish the details. I’m notorious for crossing the huge things off my list and the things that absolutely have to get done and then leaving the little things for later. This is a bad, bad, habit. Sometimes things can go weeks without getting done if they are not absolutely necessary. And honestly it’s not because I have NO time it’s because I have little time and I take a break to play on twitter or read blogs. This week I don’t have a ton on my list to do that is big so I’m going to work on the little stuff to get a good bit of them done. They haunt my dreams (literally) so I want to ease my load and mind.
- More book, less TV. It is summer and let’s face it there isn’t much on. I’m a sucker for all the junk they put on during the summer and have been getting sucked in. But I know several shows are starting soon that I want to watch but don’t really have to watch. They would just be time wasters. Instead I’m going to start checking off my list of books I want to read and enjoying the A/C in my bed with the puppers. I’m sure there will be naps involved but it will be relaxing.
- Plan our mini break. So one of our vacation ideas fell through so we are scrambling to find a place to go. Because honestly if we stay here on a staycation (I despise that word) we will have a work-cation. We are such work-a-holics. But we have some local friends who are offering their home so we can explore which is what we love to do.
- Organize. I have lots of stuff….just stuff. My dresser drawers are full, my closets are full, and everything is just full. Part of it is lack of storage and part of it is I like to collect things. So I need to organize my junk stuff so that it is more easily accessable and the things I’m not using are put away. I have a bit of time to do so and it will make my small space feel much more Nate Berkus instead of Hoarders.