Half my work life is about waiting. Waiting for an email response to finish the next part of my work. Waiting for people to return phone calls so I can plan things. Waiting for the time to finally hit 3pm so I can close the office and move on to cooking dinner. Life is full of hurry up and wait.
Not only is my work full of waiting so is everything else. Wait…wait…wait. And my Weight Loss Journey is full of waiting too…kind of like a “weight”ing game 🙂
- Waiting for the scale to drop. I’ve spent countless hours on my scale waiting to see the number. I have a cool digital scale that jumps around kind of like The Biggest Loser scale. I hold my breath until it counts down 5…4…3…2…1… and the number pops up. Some times I’m happy and sometimes I’m not. But I’m back on it the next day waiting for the numbers. I just don’t let them rule my day anymore.
- Waiting for motivation. This may be the stupidest of the things I wait for. I’ve actually said I need help with motivation before. It’s like I think there is some sort of magic fairy dust that I can sprinkle on and be motivated to run or eat healthy. Uh no! Sometimes it just takes getting out the door to start the workout or grabbing the baby carrots instead of cookies to give me the motivation. I gotta move my own butt sometimes.
- Waiting for time. Doesn’t the phrase say “time waits for no one.” I act like I’ll just workout when I have more time. Or go grocery shopping or go to the farmer’s market when I have more time. The only problem is I have 24 hours in a day and sometimes it seems like they are getting a lot shorter. I have to make the time. I have to schedule the appointments in for shopping and for workouts. Now if only I could invent a time machine to make more time in my day I’d be set.
- Waiting for weather. Peanut and Leo and I have something in common… We hate to get wet. I don’t like to go to the gym when it’s raining. I use it as an excuse to take the day off…even though I have plenty of stuff at home to workout with. And the stupid thing is that I don’t mind going to the gym in the snow. Solid water just isn’t the same to me somehow. And I don’t run outdoors unless the weather is just so. I tell myself I can run on the treadmill although I feel like a hamster. The only problem is weather is a constant to deal with and I just need to make do with what the skies or doing or there would be several months of non-activity on my part.
- Waiting for Seasonal Foods. In a day where our eco-consciousness is so heightened I’ve become even more aware of seasonal foods. Sure I’d love berries in the middle of winter but I don’t want them shipped from Chile…no matter how beautiful the country is. So all winter I ate apples and some frozen fruits and dreamed of strawberries and raspberries and peaches. I’ve dreamed of the farmer’s market where I can buy a pint of strawberries and snack on them the whole way home. Ooooo seasonal fruits…and veggies for sure…are the things I love waiting for. Now if only I could afford to live in both hemispheres and enjoy my favorites all year long 🙂
So what do you spend your life waiting for?