It’s all Nuts!
I must say I will NEVER EVER go shopping at 5AM on Black Friday every again. But lets back up to how I came to this decision.
Hunni had to be at Wal-Mart at 4.30am to Stand for our Christmas Red Kettle when they first opened. I figured since I was already up to take him I might as well go to the mall in search of some good deals for the few Christmas presents I needed. I did make that one of my itty bitty goals for the week and I wanted to get it accomplished. In past years I’ve gone shopping but timed it between 8.30 and 10 am. It was perfect to get the good deals but not see all the insanity of the early morning crowds. But today I became part of that insanity. I got to Target right after they opened the doors and thought I’d grab a latte to get me through. Sadly this did not help. I thought I was going to be squashed as I made my way back to the electronics section to look at the GPS deals. I felt claustrophobic and made a quick exit to look somewhere else. Best Buy was less crowded and I quickly picked up a great deal on a Garmin GPS and made my way to the line….that wrapped around the entire store and did not move. I was so frustrated I headed back to my van sans GPS and took a nap.
Don’t get me wrong I wanted the GPS but I was tired of the crowds and kind of feeling ill so an hour sleeping in the back seat of this did wonders.
I went back and got my mom’s GPS so she doesn’t get lost coming to visit…
a fabulous new hot pink winter coat
and a shirt for Hunni.
Christmas shopping done but I wanted to look at some more things for myself but did not want to deal with all the people. I think I’ll stick to my original plan of shopping mid-morning like normal. Black Friday is crazy enough for Hunni and me that we had to eat out for breakfast after running like crazy from 4.30am til 10.30am.
And then Hunni came home and took a nice little nap with Leo.
They were both really tired after the early morning. Leo and Peanut had to go for a walk before we left the house.
The day was utterly insane today and I had almost no time to think or breathe. I had to take particular attention to take care of me. It would have been so easy to forget to drink water or eat or rest and that would have been disastrous. As it was my stomach was eating me from the inside out before we made the quick stop for breakfast….I don’t know if it was amazing because it was just good or if it was amazing because I was so hungry. But eating that omelette and making sure I had both Sigg bottles filled made the day a little easier. And my nap in the van may have been weird to those who walked by while I was sleeping but it made the shopping so much more bearable and I got it done. I needed to remember that no matter how busy today was I needed to take care of me or I would feel awful tomorrow and it would not have been worth it at all.
Remember that when your life gets completely crazy especially as it does around the holidays to take care of yourself. You are more important than any gift or party or craziness that we can get wrapped up in. Make sure you take some extra precautions to not let your health go to the wind and then ask how the pounds pile on. So here are a few helpful hints to help in the hub-bub.
- Make sure to eat! Come on we all love to eat but it can be hard to eat healthy when you are on the run. Pack some quick snacks like Clif and Luna Bars or fruit. They are nice little on the go things that can hold you over until you can eat like normal.
- Stay hydrated! In the winter months its hard to get in liquids because you aren’t as “thirsty” but try to keep your water bottle nearby or have some tea. Just make sure you get liquids in so that you don’t get an awful headache which makes the long busy days even longer.
- Get in some activity. Notice I said activity and not exercise. Some days exercise is just hard to fit in but that doesn’t mean you can’t get in activity. Try pacing while talking on the phone or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. It may not break a sweat or burn lots of calories but it will help you feel better…trust me 🙂
- REST! Try to get an extra 15 minutes of rest a night. Turn off the TV a bit early and go to bed. Use the DVR if you are lucky enough to have one or take advantage of wonderful services like Hulu. Those extra minutes will help give you more energy for the next day.
- Remember it will pass. The holiday craziness will pass by quickly and we’ll be back to the norm welcoming in 2010. So even if you are super stressed during this season it won’t last forever.
I hope that helps some. I know that those are all things I have to remind myself of all the time. For us Kettles are crazy and it makes me want to pull my hair out. But it doesn’t last forever so I can do it…I think I can…. I think I can…. I think I can.
How do you survive the holiday season craziness? Any tips to share?